Glenlochan -The Beginning

Glenlochan -The Beginning
Glenlochan - The Beginning

Glenlochan Today

Glenlochan Today
Glenlochan Today

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Beams with a Re-Purpose

We've been told that the really cool beams we discovered in the infrastructure of Glenlochan are old ship beams.  Frankly, I wouldn't know the difference between a ship beam and some other kind of beam if my life depended on it, but I have embraced the idea that these beams were re-purposed from ships. I just love the beams - they look so terrific and full of character and I can't help but wonder about their "life" before becoming a permanent part of Glenlochan.  Adding to their character are the Roman numerals etched into a number of these beams.  If you look closely at the beams below, you can see Roman numerals on each.





My curiosity led me to try to research what, exactly, the Roman numerals signify, but I haven't been able to find much detail at all (and it doesn't help that I'm not fluent in nautical terms).  One reference indicates that the numerals may be draft marks to indicate the "draft value":  "The 'draft' of a ship is the distance of the floating waterline from the lower edge of the keel.  On larger ships there are draft marks on the stern post and stern. Roman numerals were used to indicate the value in decimeters or English feet."  This is from a resource entitled, Chapman Great Sailing Ships of the World

The second reference I found, however, provides a more likely scenario - that ship builders marked the ship's keel with Roman numerals along the length of it to mark the position of the hull frames.  I found the second reference in an on-line forum.  The post mentioned that this information came from an article, but didn't provide a citation or name, so I don't have a way to locate the original article.  Because the beams are numbered in sequential order in the house, the second explanation makes more sense, but it's certainly not verified.  As such, my curiosity has remained somewhat unsatisfied, but my imagination has run wild.   If anyone knows anything about this subject, please comment - I'd love to know more.


We plan to keep a few of the best beams exposed in the downstairs of the house.  I like to think that this will be the third life of the beams  - from serving its original purpose on a ship, to providing structural integrity to Glenlochan since 1910, to now serving as a decorative element in this home (even while continuing to provide structural integrity).

And, every time I look at them, I'll continue to wonder where they came from, what ship they were in, where the ship traveled, and who was on the ship and other details about their prior life. I cannot help but "beam" with pride. 


No comments:

Post a Comment