Glenlochan -The Beginning

Glenlochan -The Beginning
Glenlochan - The Beginning

Glenlochan Today

Glenlochan Today
Glenlochan Today

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Nifty Thrift Painting

Amidst the busy-ness of the spring, I've managed to find some time for a few little fix-it projects.  One recent fun find is a neat little painting in a damaged wicker frame that I spotted at a Philly thrift store.  I had to have it - it would be perfect for the yellow bedroom at Glenlochan.  Never mind that I've never worked with wicker and really had no clue what it might take to make it whole again.  The price was right and the desire was strong.

 It looked pretty good - a little dirty and dusty - except for the lower left corner which was missing a piece and had damage.
After some research online, I ordered a replacement reed and wicker wrap from a wicker supply store.  I soaked the rod, bent it carefully to shape, let it dry and then set about anchoring it, gluing it, and wrapping it.

After the repair job was fully dry, I carefully painted the entire frame with white Annie Sloane chalk paint to even the color and hide the newly repaired portions. 
Chalk paint requires a wax coat to provide a durable finish. I used the clear wax first on the entire frame and then very sparingly added a bit of dark wax in spots to age the new white paint a bit.  I hadn't worked with chalk paint before, but I had plans to use it in a much larger upcoming project, so this was a good intro to working with the paint and the wax. 




Far from a professional repair job, but I was pretty pleased with the results and cannot wait to hang it in Glenlochan.

No comments:

Post a Comment