Glenlochan -The Beginning

Glenlochan -The Beginning
Glenlochan - The Beginning

Glenlochan Today

Glenlochan Today
Glenlochan Today

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

More Doors

As much as tiling is the bane of Rob's existence, painting trim and interior doors is mine at the moment.  Everything takes so long to putty, caulk, and painstakingly paint and, if there is an art to painting five panel doors, I have not mastered it.  I've certainly improved my efficiency but, although I'm not turning out shoddy workmanship, I've never cared less about perfection.  Each interior door requires two to three coats of paint on each side.  I'm not sure how we ended up with so many doors, but there are a lot.  

My technique involves a little cheating to give the doors those wonderful rich brushstrokes.  I use a small foam roller in one hand and a paintbrush in the other.  That way, I can quickly roll a large amount of paint onto the door and then run a brush through the paint to give the brushstroke look (I use a similar technique on the window and door trim and the base boards). 

We set up 2 door painting "stations" upstairs and I just keep rotating the doors as they dry.


To get a change of scenery now and again, I also did the window seats (sans lids at the moment)...
...And managed to sneak in a quick stain and Waterlox project on the game room doors to the deck.  I've exhausted my distraction projects, however, and it's back to painting doors and trim again.


In other news, Rob's been busy putting the finishing touches on the upstairs - he made these thresholds:



 And, for purposes of occupancy, he did some quick and dirty finish work on two of the upstairs bedroom fireplaces (to be replaced with real vintage mantels when we have more time):



And finally, the start of the fireplace tiling in the upstairs master:
He has enough to do for occupancy purposes, so the door and trim painting remain squarely on my punch list. Which list we actually discussed committing to paper, but did not actually pull out a pen and commit.  Soon, I think, very soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment